Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pounding the pavements of Vilnius

So, it's 5 weeks and a few days before my half-marathon on 27 April; I'm at home and now really ratching up my training. Someone suggested it was a bit late to do that now, but one has to run when one can, and one can't always follow a plan, not in my lifestyle.

10 days ago I ran 17 km, and worked out that four times round the park and there and back makes it about 21k. Which I did the following weekend, in just over 2 hours. Stopped running about 3 minutes from my home and found I could almost not put one foot in front of each other. Stagger, stagger, stagger. Probably should stop early more often, and not always run up to the front door, to allow for a stretch or two. But in the afternoon it was already better, and I never got any stiffness in the next day or two. So I can do it!

Sometimes I'm not entirely sure why I am doing it....after the run it always feels like an achievement, but do I really need 'measurable achievements' at my age? It's a good way of listening to music, though - although yesterday, for 9 km, I was stuck with Elgar's 2nd symphony; it was quite nice, but too never-ending.

No comments: