Sunday, April 20, 2008

Last Sunday before Half-marathon....

Lost the previous weekend's training effort what with having a cough on the Saturday and a humdinger of a hangover on the Sunday. Midweek training in Tbilisi is possible but usually suffers from inertia....

This weekend it's my (and Lexi's) turn to set the hash; we decided to do my running route. I don't think she realised how long it was, nor did I, for walking. And in fact it's shorter than my running route.

Walked around it on Friday night (and my foot promptly started hurting again), then I ran a longer version yesterday in what seems like an unusually short hour and 9 minutes, this morning we set the hash (took us 2 hours 25 minutes, at a slow walking speed), and this afternoon will have to run it. If I have bad luck and the running group is well spread out, I'll have to run backwards and forwards like a sheepdog to make sure they don't get lost.

Perfect timing - it's Palm Sunday today and the run goes around about 100 churches all of whom are extremely busy. Let's hope that has calmed down this afternoon. The number of police on the road near the cathedral this morning suggests that Misha, the President, will also attend there. Keep praying we won't get there together. We've been ever so sensitive about not using too much flour, especially near churches. With a worldwide wheat shortage coming on, we don't need to be seen to waste flour.

But with all this I should be in fine form for next weekend. Might take a short run in Vienna on Friday morning just for the experience and fitness, and then it's onwards and upwards. That's apart from all that training shlepping round the shops of Vienna; may be one of my last opportunities for major shopping this year in Vienna, and especially for running gear...

No comments: