Thursday, February 7, 2008

If I break my neck, arm or leg...

...in the next few weeks it may not just be due to the ice which does not shift at all (yesterday and today my contribution to removing ice in Tbilisi was a total of 20 square centimetres each time), but also to the three gorgeous little pups living downstairs from me.

They are little Alsatians, covered in fluffy fur, what with being forced to sleep outside at the tender age of 2 months, and every time I come in or go out they race along to meet me (or anyone else). Consider that there are stairs into their garden, and bits of the stairs are covered in ice. But you can't put salt in a place used by delicate little puppy feet.

There are clear personalities, with always the same one standing back and surveying the situation a bit while the others just hurtle towards me. They are maternally deprived - not sure when their, rather mad and dangerous, mother left. There is another dog whose hut they sometimes invade (she does not encourage them, and being tied up it's difficult for her to play) but generally they are quite people focused.

It made me think about dog training. Here it's not done to lift dogs to your face, so they stay on the ground and I smile down at them. A long way down! Maybe that'll never give them the idea to jump up? (There's a message to be stored, should I ever get another dog.....) Often if I stand still, they will just sit around my feet and look up expectantly. Perfect opportunity to slip in a casual bit of 'sit' training, while they are so little. But they are not my dogs, so I should not try to educate them.....

I wonder if they will get vaccinated?


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: