Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Pounding the treadmill

Delighted to see rivers of water pour down the streets this evening; at least some sign of thawing. Though the weather forecast suggests that it'll be very cold over the next few nights, like minus 10 or so.

Have had to pound treadmills instead in the Marriott Hotel near my flat. At least I don't have to go far, and it's probably cheaper than the posh sports club far away. Also the Marriott is nice (I used to stay in the Yerevan Marriott - it's very luxurious and I used to have to remove endless pillows from the bed every night, but just sinking in to them, and the solidity of the furniture and fittings - the sameness of the furniture and fittings everywhere.....). At the fitness centre you get free water, lovely Marriott towels (I don't know how they control whether these towels 'take a walk' or not...); which is more than you get at the Impuls sports club in Vilnius for much the same price. You also have a nice view from this Marriott, and in the evening you can admire your svelte figure (or otherwise) in the reflection...

Not very busy - I was almost alone on Saturday morning; this evening I was surrounded by young Georgian men, though some of them exercising only their mobile phone arms (street shoes are such a give-away!). It's nice to know that my running speed, on a flat treadmill, is considerably higher than it used to be. I remember how proud I was to do 3 km in 24 minutes; today I did the same distance in 17 minutes. Probably could not keep that up for a half marathon, though....but practice makes perfect?

Now I can polish my halo a little...but on the other hand, it's only 10 weeks and a bit to the half marathon, and I need to crank up my distances. Please make that ice go away!




Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: